> Constraints that very important for most creativity. But one must pick
> constraints that make sense.
> His points about that there are few new paradigm shifts in the
> programming language worlds seems valid though.
> What would such a paradigm shift and how does it look.
> Are there any clues to what it would be, based on history, like a white spot
> on the map ?

All you have to do is look at a more ancient discipline, namely math
but take your pick, to see that surprising developments will always
happen.  We are never ever close to the end.  A wise man once said
that the more questions you answer, the more questions you confront.
It's an exponential process.  To think that there can ever be an end
is naive.  I think the push at the beginning of the 20th century to
ground mathematics on a purely logical foundation showed this.

What will quantum computation languages look like?  When we start
programming biological systems, what will those formal systems look
like? ...  it goes on.

Has anyone here seen Maurice Margenstern's hyperbolic computing automata?
http://www.lita.univ-metz.fr/~margens/index_gb.html
http://www.amazon.fr/Cellular-automata-hyperbolic-spaces-Implementation/dp/2914610831/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310941596&sr=8-1

wes