On 7/18/2011 2:56 AM, Casey Ransberger wrote:
Smells like Kool-Aide. I smell bullshit. Dude is selling a book tour or something. Let's just pick the POS we have now and run with it? Seriously? How many times has that gone well?

Dude is on a book-tour or something. Let him have it.

for most people and most projects, advice like "just pick C or Java or C# or similar" generally aligns fairly well with the path to highest likely productivity (get code written and out the door to customers, ...). if it is something common, then there is less likely to be slowdowns or similar due to some of the development team members getting confused, or having "area of responsibility" confusion or similar.

the bigger question is what can be done which hasn't already been done? and more so, why does it necessarily matter? and, if there is something great waiting, how does one best go about finding and it and making productive use of it? ...

one potentially overlooked issue in the video:
40 years ago, threads and multiprocessor systems were not exactly common;
now they are pretty much everywhere, but the most common languages tend to be fairly incompetent of effectively utilizing them.

though not "fundamentally new", this is at least a relevant change.

for example, what is a "not crappy" way to go about writing code, say, for a GPU?...

maybe there are better answers than, say, "well, pretend you are running loops over big arrays" (CUDA) and "well, just run C on the thing" (OpenCL).

IMO, I sort of like mailboxes and asynchronous and trans-thread function/method calls, but these are relative novelties (vs the ever present "lock a mutex or enter a critical section or similar" model).

or such...