> The root idea behind what I wrote years ago was that we often think that our
> way to keep up is by going up to a higher abstraction. Instead, I thought it
> might be possible to go sideways. Thus the computer builds us systems from
> many smaller pieces that are interchangeable, rather than us searching for
> better abstractions. We'd never be able to create 'all' of the pieces, but
> each time we added stuff, we wouldn't have to re-examine what already exists.
> I'm not so sure that it won't just run into horrific problems with things
> like recursion and typing problems. But, I've always thought that it was an
> alternative worth considering.

About going sideways ... I think this is exactly right.  The work that
comes to mind when trying to conceptualize how we can build
computational systems in a sideways manner is Peter Gärdenfors.  He
has done a ton of research and thinking about logic, geometry,
embeddedness in the world and higher cognitive functions (memory,
emotion, ...).

http://www.lucs.lu.se/peter.gardenfors/
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780198528517.do
http://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-Spaces-Geometry-Peter-G%C3%A4rdenfors/dp/0262071991