On 9/5/2011 11:55 AM, Alan Kay wrote:
I hate to be the one to bring this up, but this has always been a feature of all the Smalltalks ... one has to ask, what is there about current general practice that makes this at all remarkable? ...

Cheers,

Alan

maybe because it is sufficiently uncommon that one has not thought-of or seen the idea at any point prior to this point?

almost invariably, one is limited either to reloading whole files (if one is lucky and using a scripting language for this, otherwise it is time to exit the app and rebuild), or however much they can reasonably type into a console (may be often limited to 80 or 100 characters or so, especially with "IRC-style" consoles, where one only has a single-line entry field at the bottom and everything scrolls up).

depending on editor/language (say Java+Eclipse), there is the ability to pause and edit code in the debugger, but this is a different feature.

Visual Studio generally also has an immediate-evaluation tab thingy, which works more like a console.

so, a "scratch-pad" style editor which allows selecting and evaluating things (and optionally saving and reloading these scratch-pads), sadly, does actually seem fairly novel (I am tempted to add similar to my own project, but would need to think up details regarding the user-interface and/or how to integrate it with the existing console interface).

(probably like an editor on the bottom with console output on the top, and maybe some keyboard shortcut magic to access it.)

sad thing though is, if Bash ever falls out of common use, people may then forget about the idea of the console remembering command history from prior sessions or similar (most other console-style UIs don't do this).