> I would encourage those with an interest in this stuff to read Robert Rosen,
> and also perhaps Humberto Maturana and Francisco Varela. While somewhat
> heterodox, they're the best I've found in the subject of theoretical biology
> so far. Any others?

I'm a fan of Tibor Ganti's approach to theoretical biology much more
than Maturana and Varela because it's based on actual quantitative
analysis of functioning chemical networks instead of philosophical
extrapolation that while interesting loses touch with reality.

Also, I don't think the equivalent software approach is random
mutations of a buffer of data since the biologist in question is using
modular structures from the start.  Instead, I think it's more like
random expression trees mutating.

wes