I'm a big fan of Rosen's, and I think he was on to some important stuff, but
his book is not exactly a model of clarity in mathematical exposition. It's
readable enough, but the strokes are pretty broad. He also comes across as
somewhat jaded; I don't think his work was very well received for most of
his career. The serious student should have a look at A. H. Louie's "More
than Life Itself", which is essentially about the same material, but
considerably more rigorous.

-- Max