On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:31 AM, BGB <cr88...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> sized world with (with similar specifics to those in Minecraft).
>
> I suspect that, apart from making something like Minecraft, the technology
> is a bit too expensive and limited to really be all that "generally useful"
> at this point in time and on current hardware (I suspect, however, it will
> probably be much more relevant on future HW).
>

> I also tried randomly generated grid-based areas (basically, stuff is
> built from pre-made parts and randomly-chosen parts are put on a grid). I
> had also tried combining this with maze-generation algorithms. the results
> were "functional" but also "nothing to get excited about". the big drawback
> was that I couldn't really think of any way to make the results of such a
> grid based generator "particularly interesting" (this is I think more so
> with a first-person viewpoint: such a structure is far less visually
> interesting from the inside than with a top-down or isometric view).
>
> it could work if one were sufficiently desperate, but I doubt it would be
> able to hold interest of players for all that long absent "something else
> of redeeming value".
>

> the "main maps" in my case mostly use a Quake/Doom3/... style maps,
> composed mostly of entities (defined in terms of collections of key/value
> pairs representing a given object), "brushes" (convex polyhedra), "patches"
> (Bezier Surfaces), and "meshes" (mostly unstructured polygonal meshes).
>
> these would generally be created manually, by placing every object and
> piece of geometry visible in the world, but this is fairly
> effort-intensive, and simply running head first into it tends to quickly
> drain my motivation (resulting in me producing worlds which look like "big
> boxes with some random crap in them").
>
> sadly, random generation not on a grid of some sort is a much more complex
> problem (nor random generation directly in terms of unstructured or
> loosely-structured geometry).
>
> fractals exist and work well on things like rocks or trees or terrain, but
> I haven't found a good way to apply them to "general" map generation
> problem (such as generating an interesting place to run around in and
> battle enemies, and get to the exit).
>
> the "problem domain" is potentially best suited to some sort of maze
> algorithm, but in my own tests, this fairly quickly stopped being all that
> interesting. the "upper end" I think for this sort of thing was likely the
> .Hack series games (which had a lot of apparently randomly generated
> dungeons).
>

> it is sad that I can't seem to pull off maps even half as interesting as
> those (generally created by hand) in commercial games from well over a
> decade ago. I can have a 3D engine which is technically much more advanced
> (or, at least, runs considerably slower on much faster hardware with
> moderately more features), but apart from reusing maps made by other people
> for other games, I can't make it even a small amount nearly as

I don't think you can do this project without a understanding of art. It's
a fine gridded mesh that make us pick between practically similar artifacts
with ease and that make the engineer baffled. From a engineering standpoint
there is not much difference between a random splash of paint and a
painting by Jackson Pollock. You can get far with surprisingly little
resources if done correctly.

Karl