Le 1/17/2012 6:58 PM, karl ramberg a écrit :

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Loup Vaillant <l...@loup-vaillant.fr
<mailto:l...@loup-vaillant.fr>> wrote:

    David Barbour wrote:

        On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 12:30 AM, karl ramberg
        <karlramb...@gmail.com <mailto:karlramb...@gmail.com>
        <mailto:karlramb...@gmail.com <mailto:karlramb...@gmail.com>>__>
        wrote:

            I don't think you can do this project without a understanding of
            art. It's a fine gridded mesh that make us pick between
        practically
            similar artifacts with ease and that make the engineer
        baffled. From
            a engineering standpoint there is not much difference between a
            random splash of paint and a painting by Jackson Pollock.
        You can
            get far with surprisingly little resources if done correctly.

            Karl

        I think, even with an understanding of art and several art history
        classes in university, it is difficult to tell the difference
        between a
        random splash of paint and a painting by Jackson Pollock.

        Regards,

        Dave

    If I recall correctly, there is a method: zoom in.  Pollock's paintings
    are remarkable in that they tend to display the same amount of entropy
    no matter how much you zoom in (well, up to 100, actually).  Like a
    fractal.

    (Warning: this is a distant memory, so don't count me as a reliable
    source.)

    Loup.

My point here  was not to argue about a specific artist or genere but
that the domain of art is very
different from that of engineer. What makes some music lifeless and some
the most awe-inspiring
you heard in your whole life ?

Karl

Oh, sorry, I do hear you.  I singled out this example for 2 reasons :

 - Showing off (I just couldn't resist).
 - I actually have hope that we eventually get to the point where we
   can actually understand what makes good art with mathematical
   precision (if we choose to).

Of course, I agree that this question is far from solved.  It probably
won't be before we fully understand the human brain.

Loup.