On 27/02/2012 19:48, Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:

My interest in it came out of thinking about integrating pub/sub (multi- and broadcast) messaging into the heart of a language. What would a Smalltalk look like if, instead of a strict unicast model with multi- and broadcast constructed atop (via Observer/Observable), it had a messaging model capable of natively expressing unicast, anycast, multicast, and broadcast patterns?

I've wondered if pattern matching shouldn't be a foundation of method resolution (akin to binding with backtracking in Prolog) - if a multicast message matches, the "method" is invoked (with much less specificity than traditional method resolution by name/token). This is maybe closer to the biological model of a cell surface receptor.

Of course, complexity is an issue with this approach (potentially NP-complete).

Maybe this has been done and I've missed it.