Scala Days 2012 was held this week in London; 400 passionate developers; many
presentations on DSLs, parallelism, concurrency, FP, compiler technology and
much other stuff. http://days2012.scala-lang.org/ Enthusiastic tweets:
https://twitter.com/search/scaladays

The keynotes were by Guy Steele, Simon Peyton-Jones, Anthony Rose
(http://zeebox.com/) and Martin Odersky; I warmly recommend these, but right
now the videos are not yet online.

Twelve year old Shadaj Laddad had an awesome talk; he is a real good
programmer, and maybe even better teacher. The video is here:
http://skillsmatter.com/podcast/scala/subscript-extending-scala-with-the-algebra-of-communicating-processes

I presented my language extension based on the Algebra of Communicating
Processes; I have mentioned this theory a couple of times here the Fonc list.
ACP may be viewed as extending Boolean Algebra with actions, and from there
parallelism and communication. With some syntactic sugar added, it has much of
the power of BNF, CCS, Linda, pipes in Unix command shell. Implementation as a
language extension turns out to be fairly easy. I think ACP deserves much more
attention than it currently gets; it might IMO become as important as the
object-oriented and functional paradigms.

The video of my talk is here:
http://skillsmatter.com/podcast/scala/subscript-extending-scala-with-the-algebra-of-communicating-processes
The sheets and accompanying paper are at
http://code.google.com/p/subscript/downloads/list

André