Mohamed Samy <samy2...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've created an educational programming language (Arabic based) and
> now attempting to test it on some children in my family, talking with
> some schools...etc
>
> One of the major design directions for it was the concept of nested
> sub-languages; the first level looks like 80s basic, then structured
> programming is added on top, then OOP...etc.  I'm not sure, but this
> might fit in with Piaget's stages of development model; where as a
> child masters the lower-level concepts they can move to the higher
> level; instead of treating the situation as "one language must fit
> all" it's conceptually a ladder of languages.
>
> I've written about it here (with English-ized code samples) if
> anyone's interested...
>
> http://iamsamy.blogspot.com/2012/04/educational-tower-of-programming.html

Congratulations!  AFAIK it's the first programming language in Arabic.

I would suggest to teach lisp (or scheme) to children.  You could make
an arabic lisp.  The only thing needed (you already have it implemented
for kalima) is the right-to-left editor.

Google translate displays arabic lisp forms nicely:

http://translate.google.com/#en|ar|%28%28lambda%20%28a%20b%29%20%28if%20%28%3C%20a%200%29%20b%20%28-%20b%20a%29%29%29%2042%205%29

You could base it on Common Lisp (definiting a package "العربية لثغة"
that would export aliases of the COMMON-LISP symbols;  with  99%
solution, there would be very little English leaking (NIL would have to
remain CL:NIL, since any other symbol would be true; for the rest some
level of wrapping around would be able to translate keywords and &key
arguments to CL operators). I'd start with clisp which already has some
internationalization provisions.
http://clisp.podval.org/impnotes/i18n.html

My guess is that once they've learned Arabic Lisp they would more easily
switch to Common Lisp ;-)