Tomasz Rola wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012, Ivan Zhao wrote:

By "Victorian plumbing", I meant the standardization of the plumbing and
hardware components at the end of the 19th century. It greatly liberated
plumbers from fixing each broken toilet from scratch, to simply picking and
assembling off the shelf pieces.

There was (or even still is) a proposition to make software from
prefabricated components. Not much different to another proposition about
using prefabricated libraries/dlls etc. Anyway, seems like there is a lot
of component schools nowadays, and I guess they are unable to work with
each other - unless you use a lot of chewing gum and duct tape.

It's really funny, isn't it - how badly "software components" have failed. The world is littered with "component libraries" of various sorts, that are unmitigated disasters.

Except..... when it actually works.  Consider:
- all the various c libraries
- all the various java libraries
- all the various SDKs floating around
- cpan (perl)

Whenever we use an include statement, or run a make, we're really assembling from huge libraries of components. But we don't quite think of it that way for some reason.

Miles Fidelman