John Nilsson <j...@milsson.nu> writes:

> I just had a weird though, maybe there is some precedence?
>
> If we were to do software development in a more organic manner,
> accepting the nature of complex systems as being... complex. In such a
> setting we might have no blue-print (static source code) to usable for
> instantiating new live systems ex nihilo, or the option to take down
> existing systems to "deploy an upgrade". The code running the nodes
> can be the result of wild mutation or complex generative algorithms.
>
> A mode of development could be to work on prototypes in a lab, a clone
> or an isolated node from the production system. When the desired
> properties are created in the prototype they would then spread through
> the production system by means of a virus which would adapt the new
> properties to the running instances individually according to their
> unique configuration.

That's exactly what's happening with most big software editors: Apple,
Microsoft, Adobe, Firefox, etc.

They develop new strands in their laboratories, and then virally spread
over all the computers of the world thru the Internet, automatically.
Well, sometimes you have to pay for big changes, but they let the small
changes spread for $free.

> Is it feasible? Would it provide new options? Any research done in
> this direction?

Joke apart, people are still resiting a lot to stochastic software.
One problem with random spreading of updates is that its random.