I've been collecting references to game POLs on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain-specific_entertainment_language ever
since I found Barney Pell's METAGAME.  I've also been collecting Game IDEs
on a similar page, which should probably be folded into the game engines
page.  Probably some of these POLs could be easily integrated into Maru
(they are based on s-expressions).  One of the more intriguing POLs is
EGGG, because it's very English-like, supposedly generates a number of
types of games, supports integrating functions from the base programming
language and generates Perl code.  Given enough time, I'd like to take the
EGGG language and develop something that STEPS uses.  One of the
difficulties Orwant had was the speed of the parsing in Perl...instead of
true parsing, he took a regular expression matching approach.

If you know of any game POLs that I don't have please add them by all means.

Thanks,

John


On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 4:43 AM, Loup Vaillant <[email protected]> wrote:

> David Barbour a écrit :
>
>> […]
>>
>> Creating a good POL can be difficult. (cf.
>> http://lambda-the-ultimate.**org/node/4653<http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4653>
>> )
>>
>
> From your link:
>
> > It is easy to miss valuable symmetries or dualities.
>
> That one is funny, because I sensed for a long time that this could
> apply to OMeta-JS¹ (I didn't look at about other versions of OMeta).
>
>  - Rules in OMeta aren't first class.  You sometime have to use Apply()
>    explicitly, and to be passed as parameters, rules need to be named.
>  - The implementation is less metacircular than it could be, making it
>    significantly more verbose than necessary.
>  - The scoping rule for bound variables is downright ugly: I can use a
>    variable before it is even declared!
>  - Other have mentioned that proper error messaging is hard, in part
>    because of full backtracking.
>
> Anyway, I had no idea about how to fix these for a long time. Then,
> about a week ago, it hit me: OMeta rules can be viewed as monadic
> parser combinators. It would get rid of most of the problems above.
> (I'll post a proof of concept soon).
>
> Anyway, back to the point:  How did Alex Warth (seem to) miss this?
> He's probably smarter and more knowledgeable than I am, so… I guess
> that
>
> > It is easy to miss valuable symmetries or dualities.
>
> and therefore,
>
>
> > Creating a good POL can be difficult.
>
> Which is a pity, because I expect the next silver bullet will come from
> the wide use of POLs.
>
> Loup.
>
> [1]: http://www.tinlizzie.org/**ometa-js/<http://www.tinlizzie.org/ometa-js/>
>
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> fonc mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://vpri.org/mailman/**listinfo/fonc<http://vpri.org/mailman/listinfo/fonc>
>
_______________________________________________
fonc mailing list
[email protected]
http://vpri.org/mailman/listinfo/fonc

Reply via email to