Er… Hmm… About that… 

In the (missing) Chapter 1 I attempt to illustrate building a computation model 
using a declarative and incremental programming language. Towards the end of  
that effort I realized I really needed an implementation of the language.

I really like Alessandro's work but when I saw the Meta II paper I saw the way 
I wanted to do it in at least this first implementation. 

A proper conclusion to Chapter 2 would come in three parts: implement in the 
metacompiler (e.g. ibnf/six) a compiler for a minimal but general purpose 
language, then b) reimplement the semantics for the language in its own self, 
then c) reimplement the semantics for the metacompiler in that language. At 
that point a self-sustaining development environment would be established. If 
each of a, b and c can be done in 10 pages or so of literate programming text, 
I think that would be pretty cool. It would be especially cool if at that point 
it was easy to extend the system to integrate the source code and programming 
styles of other systems.

Where there are two chapters there are sure to be more. I would like to 
continue with an operating system kernel or two, networking, graphics, text 
processing and the manipulation and distributed storage of relational data.

Wirth and Gutknect's Project Oberon is my inspiration for the project and STEPs 
shows another way to build such a system. My own way would of course be a third 
path to the peak of the same mountain of a self-sustaining computing system, 
succinctly and fully described, useful for every-day tasks. Its a Quixotic 
quest but I think the best quests are.

Thanks for taking a look!

Chuck




On Feb 8, 2013, at 4:48 PM, Matthew Retchin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Where are the other chapters and what is the book about?
> 
> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Charles Perkins <[email protected]> wrote:
> While we're all waiting for the next STEP report I thought I'd share 
> something I've been working on, inspired by O'Meta and by the Meta-II paper 
> and by the discussions on this list from November.
> 
> I've written up the construction of a parser generator and compiler compiler 
> here: https://github.com/charlesap/ibnf/blob/master/SyntaxChapter.pdf?raw=true
> 
> The source code can be had here: https://github.com/charlesap/ibnf
> 
> Don't be fooled by the footnotes and references, this is a piece of outsider 
> literature. I am a barbarian come to pillage the ivory tower. Yarr.
> 
> Chuck
> _______________________________________________
> fonc mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://vpri.org/mailman/listinfo/fonc
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> (display "hello world") ; Scheme
> console.log("hello world"); // JavaScript
> _______________________________________________
> fonc mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://vpri.org/mailman/listinfo/fonc

_______________________________________________
fonc mailing list
[email protected]
http://vpri.org/mailman/listinfo/fonc

Reply via email to