> Therefore, with respect to this property, you cannot (in general) reason
> about or treat groups of two actors as though they were a single actor.

This is incorrect, well, it's based on a false premise.. this part is
incorrect/invalid? (an appropriate word escapes me):

But two actors can easily (by passing messages in circles) send out an
> infinite number of messages to other actors upon receiving a single message.

I see it as the equivalent of saying: "I can write an infinite loop,
therefore, I cannot reason about functions"

As you note, actors are not unique in their non-termination. But that
> misses the point. The issue was our ability to reason about actors
> compositionally, not whether termination is a good property.

The above statement, in my mind, sort of misunderstands reasoning about
actors. What does it mean for an actor to "terminate". The _only_ way you
will know, is if the actor sends you a message that it's done. Any
reasoning about actors and their compositionality must be done in terms of
messages sent and received. Reasoning in other ways does not make sense in
the actor model (as far as I understand). This is how I model it in my
head:

It's sort of the analog of asking "what happened before the Big Bang."
Well, there was no time before the Big Bang, so asking about "before"
doesn't make sense. In a similar way, reasoning about actor systems with
anything except messages, doesn't make sense. To use another physics
analogy, there is no privileged frame of reference in actors, you only get
messages. It's actually a really well abstracted system that requires no
other abstractions. Actors and actor configurations (groupings of actors)
become indistinguishable, because they are logically equivalent for
reasoning purposes. The only way to interact with either is to send it a
message and to receive a message. Whether it's millions of actors or just
one doesn't matter, because *you can't tell the difference* (remember,
there's no privileged frame of reference). To instrument an actor
configuration, you need to put actors "in front of it". But to the user of
such instrumented configuration, they won't be able to tell the difference.
And so on and so forth, "It's Actors All The Way Down."

I think we found common ground/understanding on other things.