> a lot of people seem to have the opinion the language a person
> communicates in locks them into a certain way of thinking.

There is an entire book on the subject, "Metaphors We Live By", which
profoundly changed how I think about thinking and what role metaphor plays
in my thoughts. Below is a link to what looks like an article by the same
title from the same authors.

http://www.soc.washington.edu/users/brines/lakoff.pdf