Alan Kay <alan.n...@yahoo.com> writes:

> When I said "even scientists go against their training" I was also
> pointing out really deep problems in humanity's attempts at thinking
> (we are quite terrible thinkers!).

I think a quite modest improvement would be more powerful
calculators. For example, we already augment our arithmetic when we go
shopping, why don't we augment our statistical ability when making
judgements? We can be bad at estimating probabilities, but we're far
worse at combining them correctly; for example the common error of not
taking into account population bias when interpreting test results[1].

If we carried around a statistical calculator app with a simple UI
(eg. graphs, tiles and sliders; not RPN) then we can enter numbers
individually and have the device carry out the tricky combinations for
us. When we don't need to estimate the numbers, eg. if they're given in
a paper, report, magazine, etc. then a machine-readable representation
like a barcode could be given alongside. This would allow us to intuit
the values graphically, rather than slipping up on our parsing of the
representation.

[1] http://yudkowsky.net/rational/bayes/

Cheers,
Chris