I am particularly interested in the part which makes use of several
fonts to present a document.  Since my native language is Chinese, the
following questions are related to the Chinese usage.

Keith Packard wrote:

> Xft also stores a complete map of available Unicode characters in the font
> pattern; this takes about 1/2 a second to compute for most fonts, so

Does "font pattern" mean something like

    family=times:size=12:weight=bold:slant=oblique

as described in your Xft tutorial?  If yes, how the Unicode character
map is represented/specified?

> startup can take a while when you've added a bunch of fonts without
> rebuilding the cache manually.  This means that you can match fonts based
> on Unicode coverage; fonts missing the fewest glyphs in the desired range
> match more tightly than fonts missing more of the glyphs.

Related to my question earlier, what exactly does "Unicode coverage"
look like?  One way I can think of is something like Java's
    java.lang.Character.UnicodeBlock
If that is the case, there are several problems when the "coverage"
is applied to a particular font:

1.  The coverage may not be complete.

For example, a simplified Chinese TTF may cover part of the UnicodeBlock
CJK_UNIFIED_IDEOGRAPHS, and another traditional Chinese TTF may also
cover part the the same block.  When you say "fonts missing the fewest
glyphs in the desired range match more tightly than fonts missing more of
the glyphs", what is the meaning of it?  Does that mean simplified Chinese
font is not used since it missing more of the glyphs?  Or traditional
Chinese font always has a higher priority when choosing a font to display
a glyph?

2.  Overlapping coverage

Again, both traditional Chinese and simplified Chinese fonts have a lot
glyphs in common, if the font pattern is something like

    times,traditional_cn_font,simplified_cn_font-12

Is the glyphs in 'traditional_cn_font' are used for the common part?  What
about

    times,simplified_cn_font,traditional_cn_font-12

> The application provides the pattern:

>       times,farsi,micho-18

Is it possible to specify a pattern like

    family=times:size=14,family=fangsong:size=12

Because a 14 point 'times' may look better than a 12 point one when
showing together with a 12 point 'fangsong'.

Regards,

Yao Zhang