On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Bashar Asad wrote:

>> Dear Bashar Asad,
>> I have frequently had this problem. The most common reason was that my
>> disk space was very low and the xfs service in my distribution was not
>> able to make its lockfiles and so xfs did not start up.
>> Please check you disk space and stale lock files.
>> al_shopov

Yes, I have seen a few reports of that also.  I think if it
doesn't already, perhaps xfs should have some code added to
detect low disk space situations, and fail gracefully, logging
the reason to syslog.  That would perhaps help users to discover
a solution faster in similar situations.

>>> Looks to me like you don't have a running fontserver.  Start up
>>> xfs, and it should be fine.
>>>
>>> I see people with this common problem a lot.  In Red Hat Linux,
>>> this would be done by:  "service xfs start"  however I'm not sure
>>> what the Debian GNU/Linux syntax is for doing so.  Could someone
>>> let me know so I can give more specific info in the future to
>>> Deb'ers?
[SNIP]
>Thanks guys,
>I got it running, my xfs, but lacked the right fonts so I installed and
>reinstalled a bunch of them ;) and now its running fine

Good to hear.  If you have any other problems, feel free to drop
by #xfree86 on irc.openprojects.net for real-time help.

Take care,
TTYL

General open IRC discussion:    #xfree86 on irc.openprojects.net