On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Andy Isaacson wrote:

> I think Mark's idea of snapping to 75 or 100 DPI is a good one, but I'd
> say that this should only be done if the delta is less than... 15%
> maybe.  Perhaps there should be standard values at 125 and 150 as well,
> since some systems are starting to come with higher-resolution LCDs.  I
> think even the Apple iBook has a fairly high-res display?

I thought (hoped?) that the scalable font renderers could cope with
unusual dot pitches. If not what is the problem ?

Come to that, there is no good reason why the average application
should be using fonts where it matters. If I have two 1024x768 displays,
one a 14" laptop and the other a 50" plasma display, I usually want the
text to be the same number of pixels high in them both, not the same
point-size.

If we snap to standard values there is no incentive for applications to
be fixed. Worse those that are may just add the new snap-points to a
list, shifting but not fixing the problem.

I vote we leave the DPI alone, then programs which care can get things
right. I'd like a CAD program to be able to tell me whether the drawing
on my screen is twice life size or one-twentieth.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna