Over the last year, we've learned a lot about how client side fonts change
the X environment.  The initial focus was to simplify the Render extension
protocol and avoid future problems by eliminating font information.  This
has been admirably achieved -- we've got lots of possible directions and no
sign that the protocol will limit future font capabilities.

However, we've also discovered that client side fonts have significant
additional advantages.  The ability to draw anti-aliased text is a nice
feature, but has become overshadowed at the application level by the
tremendous power of full access to the font file data.

Xft attempts to provide symmetrical access to server-side and client-side
fonts; this is hampering application use of client-side fonts while not
helping anything -- existing applications already know how to deal with
server-side fonts and new applications want to take advantage of the
available font information.

Server-side fonts were added to Xft to support legacy X servers without the
Render extension.  I suggest that instead of using server-side fonts, Xft
should rasterize glyphs with FreeType and draw with the Render extension
where available and using the core protocol for legacy servers without
Render support.

I'd implement both AA and non-AA paths, making this perform reasonably well
over networks while also providing extended capabilities for servers not
able to move to the Render extension.  I've done client-side non-AA text in
the core protocol in the past and have found it acceptable, even over
relatively low speed links (128K ISDN).

Please write with concerns or comments.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab