Around 10 o'clock on Dec 14, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Excellent idea.  Can we also coordinate with the major applications
> groups to reach a consensus on font management?  The underlying font
> management goal should be to reach the same ease of use that is
> presently achieved in the Windows world.

I'm certainly trying to get their input.  Qt and Gtk+ will both use Xft,
and I'm talking to the Mozilla folks as well.  I need to tackle Raph to
see if we can't get some buy-in from Ghostscript and then go take a look
at TeX as well.  I don't know what the OpenOffice folks are doing, but
presumably they'll work with the Gnome folks at some point.

> Moving this outside the server gives us a better chance of proper
> support for the more difficult languages.

That's my goal; eliminate the reason to use server-side fonts for any
output and concentrate on making client-side fonts as capable as possible.
The most important feature is that future improvements will not be so
severely handicapped by requirements to not change the X server -- I think
the Render extension provides the foundation for any number of future
experiments with text output.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab