RTTJ wrote on 2002-01-28 21:56 UTC:
> I'm working with a local tribe whose language is written with a subset of the
> IPA, International Phonetics Alphabet.
[... lengthy essey on some obscure Win32 product deleted ...]

If what you *really* want to achieve under Linux is to edit plaintext
files that contain IPA characters, then you should use a locale with
UTF-8 encoding, and editor such as vim 6.0 or yudit, and the already
available -misc-fixed-*-iso10646-1 fonts under X11.

Details on

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

Quick demonstration guide on

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/quick-intro.txt

Printing support for UTF-8 and IPA under Linux is unfortunately still in
its infancy, txtbdf2ps being one of the ugly hacks available for the
time being.

Markus