El Jueves 24 Enero 2002 12:00, escribiste:

> Subject: Re: [Fonts]warning? if you received Vol 1 #327 SCAM? Fonts digest,
> Vol 1 #327 - 1 msg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thanks for the reply....Markus Kuhn.

It was my first incoming from the maillist and my first such spam..:-)

> Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:47:39 +0000
> From: Markus Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> RTTJ wrote on 2002-01-23 20:08 UTC:
> > Did you see the email this abuser sent?
>
> Don't panic. It's called "spam", and the best way of dealing with it is
> a fast delete function in your emailer.

> What font issues were you interested in?
>
> Markus

Font Issues I'm trying to learn about/sort out:

At home, I'm running RedHat 7.1...

I'm working with a local tribe whose language is written with a subset of the
IPA, International Phonetics Alphabet.

Their language center has 3 computers running Windows 95 and 98. They do not
have Internet access.

    They use Keyman 3.2 ( http://www.tavultesoft.com/ ) and (
http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/keyman.html ) which is designed to work
with microsoft OS. It is a small, fast, free, download.
    A professor from a University a few states away, who comes by a couple
times a year, brought it to them and has been helping them.

    Inserted into the Keyman files on their computers are a few extra files
that do not come with Keyman: a Ok2.kmn file, a Ok2.bmp file (which provides
the clickable bitmap that rides up on the desktop and allows the change from
an English font to the local language font).
    Also, in their C:\Windows\Fonts\ directory, they have an extra file
called PhGothic (a font file which has the subset of the IPA appropriate to
the local language). There are also a few other, earlier used, specialty font
files which they no longer use... and because, when these are selected in the
Windows applications, the Keyman program no longer works with the same
keystrokes... I am assuming that the .kmn file (particular to keyman) somehow
maps to the PhGothic font. The PhGothic font must be selected for the Keyman
program to work correctly.

    By now, you can see that I have a lot to learn!

    I have an old computer with both my preferred Linux OS and an MSWindows
2000 OS on the hard drive.
    I've downloaded Keyman 3.2 (free) and inserted the PhGothic font in the
Windows\Font directory and copies of the Ok2.kmn and Ok2.bmp font in a Keyman
dir where I installed Keyman. This works fine.

    I want to do it from Linux!

    The PhGothic font is a TrueType font.

     I've just discovered these two HOWTOs
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/index.html and
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO.html ,and from here it looks like I
should be able to get the PhGothic.ttf to work in LInux..
   I have never done this before nor had the time to try, yet.

    "Darrel Eppler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> from the SIL site above wrote me:

"You might wish to look at the following products that allow you to run
Windows programs under Linux:
  * WINE (http://www.winehq.com/)
  * bochs  (http://bochs.sourceforge.net/)
  * VMWare (http://www.vmware.com/)
  * Win4Lin (http://www.netraverse.com/)

I expect that Keyman would work fine under VMWare; Keyman will probably not
work correctly under WINE."

     I have yet to run any windows apps thru any of these programs.

      While this might be easier (?) than getting the fonts to work in Linux,
getting the fonts to work sounds more sensible in the long run.

     In order for my home computer to communicate with the ones at the tribal
language center (right now!)... I have downloaded Keyman 3.2 into my
MSWindows.

    It seems to me that I should be able to install the PhGothic TrueType
Fonts into my Linux and then read floppies and CDs written on the language
lab computers and to write floppies and CDs readable by their computers. I
think that I should be able to do this without any "special" program such as
Keyman. (I understand that microsoft and Linux format floppies differently).
    Does this make sense?

   If I can figure out how to do this, then I can show them how to do this.

    Then folks thruout the tribe, from home, on less expensive computers,
running LInux... will be able to read and write their own language between
themselves, computer to computer, thru floppies, CDs, telephone lines, etc.
  The folks at the language center did not know where their C:\ drive was,
much less Keyman, until a few days ago when I showed them how to get there
thru the 'My Computer' icon on their desktops.

   I'm trying to mount the learning curve and trying to help them at the same
time.... (hahaha).... and asking you for pointers!!!

   Am I correct to try to follow the HOWTO directions at the URLs above???

   Thanks for guidance, pointers, and help words of wisdom!

    Robert Thomas