I'd like to clarify an assumption with encodings.dir files.  If I
understand correctly, the encodings.dir files are no longer
required, having been replaced now by the encodings and
encodings/large subdirectories.

I read something earlier to the effect that encodings.dir is not
needed, but is still supported if the files happen to be there.

Is there any useful purpose to me shipping these files?
Aparently ttmkfdir chokes on some of them, but works fine if
they're not there (I haven't tested yet).

If they are unneeded, I'd prefer to just remove them from my
packaging, and use the standard newer directories instead.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

General open IRC discussion:    #xfree86 on irc.openprojects.net