Kaixo!

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 04:43:09AM -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> I'd like to clarify an assumption with encodings.dir files.  If I
> understand correctly, the encodings.dir files are no longer
> required, having been replaced now by the encodings and
> encodings/large subdirectories.
>
> I read something earlier to the effect that encodings.dir is not
> needed, but is still supported if the files happen to be there.
>
> Is there any useful purpose to me shipping these files?

I don't know for you.
But the ability to have a local encodings.dir to override the default one
is useful to handle some wrong ttf fonts that wrongly claim to be in cp1251
i nther unicode table, while they are in fact in another completly different
encoding.

On the other side, if you ship only fonts with correct unicode tables
there is no need for the encodings.dir

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga