I looked at the freetype/freetype2 FAQ's and some of the
fonts, render @xfree86.org archives... and I'm betting this has been
explained before... but here it goes -

Long story short... I was just compiling KDE3 CVS and ran across a
<freetype/ftsnames.h> complaint - so I did something like the following to
move along -

mv /usr/include/freetype /usr/include/freetype_old
ln -s /usr/X11R6/include/freetype2/freetype /usr/include/freetype

So... it wasn't a big deal to work around the freetype/freetype2 thing -
but I was curious if the freetype2 includes should have really looked like
<freetype2/ftsnames.h> and/or the corresponding freetype/freetype2
includes can or should be /usr/include/freetype, /usr/include/freetype2
(or other equivalent locations and/or symlinks)

I suppose the short answer may be... the developer (kfontinst) should've
used <freetype2/*> instead of <freetype/*>

- Jason