Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> It is our belief that leaving font rendering on the server side will be more
> efficient than sending the bits over from the client side.  Of course, we can't
> prove this until we've actually done it, so we don't know for sure.

It would be interesting to see the results. I'm curious about laying out
text, drawing it, and selecting it (with the mouse).

> We also
> think that having the text in the server may provide additional benefits, such
> as allowing accessibility solutions to access the text of clients who don't
> use an accessibility-enabled toolkit.

I wonder if it would be better to design and deploy a good accessibility
toolkit.

> We've tried to design the XST api so it can work either with a XST-enabled
> X server, or by directly linking with ST, on a non-XST enabled X server.

In the latter case, is the ST library on the X client side? Are you then
using the normal X protocol?

The ST project certainly looks very promising. How's it going on the
printing side? Did you get the ST API to print on Linux?

Thanks,

Erik