New versions of both mkfontscale and the FreeType 2 backend are
available from

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/files/

Note that you will need to apply the ``xfree86-freetype2.patch'' even
if you've done before, as this version contains a little more stuff.

I gratefully acknowledge the help of Ishikawa Mutsumi and James Cloos
for this version.

Changes in mkfontscale:

  - support for non-AGL Type 1 fonts (e.g. symbol fonts);
  - support for more Type 1 weights;
  - smarter handling of non-Unicode fonts.

Changes in the FreeType 2 backend:

  - fixes a crash when adding properties (due to Ishikawa Mutsumi);
  - support for OpenType/CFF fonts;
  - support for non-AGL Type 1 fonts;
  - support for custom Type 1 encodings (``adobe-fontspecific'');
  - minor fixes to Type 1 metrics (the problem with average width remains);
  - a number of minor cleanups.

I would need people to help me make mkfontscale smarter when working
with East-Asian encodings; I think some additions to the definition of
CODE_IGNORED are needed to do a decent job with Chinese encodings
(Japanese and Korean encodings seem to work with the current
heuristics).  If you think you're competent to give me a hand with
that, please do get in touch.

                                        Juliusz