JC> I'm also having trouble adding /usr/lib/jdk1.3/jre/lib/fonts to
JC> the font path.

Juliusz> Permissions?  NFS authorisation? (The server runs as root,
Juliusz> not as you.)

Not a permissions problem.  Everything is on hda.  Xft is able to
access those files.  I have taken another look.  The fonts.scale
generated by mkfontscale (20020417) assigned the same XLDF to more
than one ttf.  It also had bad weight values in the XLFDs.  (The
XftCache in that dir shows that all of the normal weight fonts are
weight=100 and the (demi)bold versions are all 200.  mkfontscale
returns a weight of thin for many but not all of the Lucida fonts
therein; it does get a couple of the right.)

I don't see that error in the ttmkfdir output, but there is probably
something of the sort....

Both fonts.dir files result in exactly the same error, so there
probably *is* some problem with the ttmkfdir version as well.

-JimC