Hi,

I suggest to take a look to the Amaya Code. (w3c browser)
We use Xft, Freetype 2 and OpenGL in order to display XML (including MathML and SVG)

MathML problem comes from the lack of font containing unicode characters needed.
So that's why specific font with specific mapping is used.
Starmath is one of these font, but it lacks glyphs needed for MathML.
Esstix combined with a font conatining greek character (with unicode mappping) are the
most complete set of fonts for MathML.
Old version used to draw MathML using symbol fonts (with specific code for large
characters)

http://www.w3.org/Amaya

Code is freely available and you'll find specific information and direct links to the
source you're looking for at http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/gldev.html
and installation explanations are here : http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/AmayaGL.html

-Paul