"Roger B. Sidje" wrote on 2002-06-18 17:51 UTC:
> Even the new Unicode 3.2 still doesn't cover all the characters
> that are needed for MathML layout. [...] stretchy MathML characters.

The bracket components are in Unicode 3.2 for the sole reason that they
were also present in legacy terminal character sets such as DEC
Technical. They were added *only* as part of an effort to enable UTF-8
terminal emulators to provide the full glyph repertoire offered by some
historic video terminals, such that tools like luit can emulate these
too if they want to.

These bracket components will hopefully *NOT* be missunderstood by the
maths layout community as the proper way to typeset mathematical
formulas. (*a feeling of horror crawls down my spine just from the
thought*)

What the maths layout community really needs is some extension to
scalable font formats, such that you can specify to a rendering engine,
what exact width and height you need an existing Unicode character such
as all the dozens of brackets, roots, etc. rendered in, and then the
font file will contain a little bit of code that converts these size
requirements into suitably positioned Bezier control points.
Multiple-master fonts do that already. Most of the technology is already
out there.

Please forget immediately about the Unicode 3.2 bracket components for
MathML, unless you are rendering formulas for characters cell terminal
emulators (for which I think they are quite sufficient)!

Free your mind from the awful way in which TeX plugs together its
brackets from glyph components, which was dictated by the limitations of
the 1970s phototypesetter which Knuth had to use when he designed the
first incarnation of TeX.

Unicode 3.2 contains every character that MathML needs to communicate
with a font rendering engine. Glyphs can be streched by telling the
glyph rendering engine to so, and the font has to contain all the
information to do this properly. Any other solution just leads to the
horrible entanglement between style sheet and exact alignment of bracket
fragments in special maths fonts, which makes it in TeX for example
practically impossible to use for math typesetting any other font than
those designed specifically for TeX.

Markus