Keith Packard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Around 9 o'clock on Jun 28, Brian Stell wrote:
>
> > For Mozilla I add the "family + language-group" as this seems the
> > closest match. The "family (any-language-group)" was added when
> > I observed that some X fonts cover larger code sets by
> > "subsetting" a larger font; eg:
>
> This is (fortunately) not a significant problem with client-side fonts;
> I haven't ever seen anyone take a TrueType font and split it into pieces
> like this.
>
> > I have primarily seen this in use for Japanese users who want to be able to
> > specify the fonts used for JISX0201 and JISX0212.
>
> Hmm.  I have less experience (oddly) with these encodings; are there
> generally separate TrueType files for these?

JISX0201 is an obsolete encoding, and in generally you want to
_avoid_ getting characters (half-width Kana) from it.

I believe JISX0212 characters would be in a large font containing
JISX0208 characters as well.

In neither case would I expect a separate font; the basic set
of Japanese characters are those in JISX0208.

(Hmm, thought of one case where coverage matching may cause
a little trouble ... there exists fonts of "just kana" that are
meant to replace the kana part in a complete font. In theory,
you should be able to have:

 "My Kana Font, My Complete Font"

As part of your "Sans" alias and get the right effect; mostly,
those those fonts are for typographical purposes so wouldn't
be part of a generic alias, however.)

> > My impression is that the better fonts have set the CodePageRange
> > bits. If no bits are set I "default" the font's lang by setting the
> > Latin-1 bit.
>
> I've gathered the same impression, but that's only valid for TrueType
> fonts.  I'm building some code to generate lang tags based on coverage of
> the unicode codepoints referenced from the original code pages; that should
> be pretty reliable for non-Han languages; my plan is to try to make some
> educated guesses for Han languages and hope it works.  When it fails, I'll
> go and add some override capabilities in the font configuration file.
>
> Just setting Latin-1 is pretty harsh; I've only got Type1 files for WadaLab
> Gothic.

 ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/examples/cjkvinfo/adobe/

Is a good source of sample Postscript CJK fonts to do this type
of testing with.

Regards,
                                        Owen