Kaixo!

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 10:14:39AM -0400, Anthony Souphavanh wrote:

> I am new to the group. I work on Lao Keyboard mapping for XFree86 version
> 4.0. I am asking for your kind suggestions as to where to start. I

You need to write a keyboard definition using the "unicode keysyms" for
the Lao letters.

"unicode keysyms" are X11 keysyms of the form 0x100#### with #### replaced
with the hexa value of the unicode char you want.

I don't know if Lao keyboard is similar to Thai keyboard or not;
if it is, you can start looking at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/th
copy it under another name (eg: "lo") and edit it.
Thai has symbolic keysyms, as its support was integrated long ago
in XFree86, before unicode support.

> 2. Be able to use Lao UNICODE font under MS Arial UNICODE via XFree86 Lao
> input method

Then, you just need to use an UTF-8 locale, and load your created
keyboard.
And make your unicode font available as *-iso10646-1 and use it.

> Use #2 to tranlstate or work on Lao KDE version 3.x.x

Gtk2 (Gnome) and Qt3 (KDE) have even better mechanisms to handle and display
some complex scripts, like Thai, and I suppose Lao works similarly.
Now, to know if Lao support has explicitely been developped yet or not
you should ask on gtk/gnome/kde mailing-lists.