Hi Pablo,

Thanks for your info..but I still need to clarify the following info:

You said:

I don't know if Lao keyboard is similar to Thai keyboard or not;
if it is, you can start looking at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/th
copy it under another name (eg: "lo") and edit it.
Thai has symbolic keysyms, as its support was integrated long ago
in XFree86, before unicode support.

Yes, I did look in the directory where the files are. Thai and Lao are very
similar. Tell me what is sybolic keysyms and you said that Thai has
integrated into Xfree86. It is the one that I am doing for Lao called
kayboard mapping is the 'symbolic keysyms'??

You said:

Then, you just need to use an UTF-8 locale, and load your created
keyboard.
And make your unicode font available as *-iso10646-1 and use it.

My question:

Where can I find UTF-8 locale?? How do I go about making unicode font
available as *-iso10646-1? By the way it is the same as specifying the true
type fonts??

Thanks!

Sak S.

********************************

Kaixo!

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 10:14:39AM -0400, Anthony Souphavanh wrote:

> I am new to the group. I work on Lao Keyboard mapping for XFree86 version
> 4.0. I am asking for your kind suggestions as to where to start. I

You need to write a keyboard definition using the "unicode keysyms" for
the Lao letters.

"unicode keysyms" are X11 keysyms of the form 0x100#### with #### replaced
with the hexa value of the unicode char you want.

I don't know if Lao keyboard is similar to Thai keyboard or not;
if it is, you can start looking at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/th
copy it under another name (eg: "lo") and edit it.
Thai has symbolic keysyms, as its support was integrated long ago
in XFree86, before unicode support.

> 2. Be able to use Lao UNICODE font under MS Arial UNICODE via XFree86 Lao
> input method

Then, you just need to use an UTF-8 locale, and load your created
keyboard.
And make your unicode font available as *-iso10646-1 and use it.

> Use #2 to tranlstate or work on Lao KDE version 3.x.x

Gtk2 (Gnome) and Qt3 (KDE) have even better mechanisms to handle and
display
some complex scripts, like Thai, and I suppose Lao works similarly.
Now, to know if Lao support has explicitely been developped yet or not
you should ask on gtk/gnome/kde mailing-lists.

> Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Anousak S.

Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.stben.be/pablo/       PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or
Portuguese]