Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> Yesterday I installed the XFt-2 enabled QT. Now running konsole (the kde
> terminal application) It started out with very wide characters (from arial)
> This is caused by the fact that the font selection mechanism refuses to match
> the -misc-fixed-medium-r-* bitmapped font. I've tried out several
> configurations but none helped (except aliassing to a monospaced font, not
> arial).

I can't tell from the log whether you have made any bitmap fonts
available to fontconfig.  On my Red Hat 8 system, I have found that I
can use PCF fonts in konsole by putting un-gzipped copies of them in
/usr/share/fonts/bitmap-fonts (or presumably any other directory listed
in fonts.conf) and running fc-cache.

As an aside, this doesn't work for the Courier fonts that ship with
XFree86.  I suspect that this is because a couple of them don't have a
"spacing" value.