Hello Keith,

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 10:17:58AM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:

> Around 0 o'clock on Dec 3, Anthony Fok wrote:
>
> > Under zh_HK locale, however, since no zh_HK fonts were found on the system,
> > the zh_CN font appears to have a higher priority over the zh_TW one,
> > resulting in a funny-looking mosaic of text rendered with about 1/3 zh_CN
> > and 2/3 zh_TW.  This is my first problem.
>
> We can solve this with a configuration change:
>
>       <match target="pattern">
>               <test qual="any" name="lang">
>                       <string>zh-hk</string>
>               </test>
>               <edit name="lang" mode="append">
>                       <string>zh-tw</string>
>               </edit>
>       </match>

Great!  Thanks!  I'll give it a try.  :-)

> This says that when asking for a font which supports 'zh-hk', accept as a
> reasonable substitute a font which supports 'zh-tw'.
>
> > The second problem is that fontconfig 2.0 does not seem to recognize a
> > zh_HK (HKSCS-2001) font as such.
>
> It's quite possible that the hk orthography is too selective; the HKSCS
> includes a lot of codepoints which may not be in the fonts you're
> interested in.  You can check which codepoints are supported in that font
> using 'xfd'.  If you can, send as many HKSCS fonts as you can along to me
> and I'll modify the orthography to fit them.  The trick is to make sure
> that only fonts with "reasonable" HKSCS support are matched.

That's true.  Yes, for starters, I suppose zh-hk.orth only need to cover
HKSCS-1999 (with 116 less characters).  Nevertheless, I reduced zh-hk.orth
to only one single line (just the code "4E04") and fontconfig still wouldn't
recognize any font as such, so I suspect the problem lies somewhere else.
But yes, I shall do more experiment and let you know of the result.  :-)

Thanks again,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling