Around 8 o'clock on Dec 3, Anthony Fok wrote:

> Under zh_HK locale, however, since no zh_HK fonts were found on the system,
> the zh_CN font appears to have a higher priority over the zh_TW one,
> resulting in a funny-looking mosaic of text rendered with about 1/3 zh_CN
> and 2/3 zh_TW.  This is my first problem.

In other news, I discovered that the system wasn't actually selecting
zh-cn or zh-tw when you specified zh-hk without any zh-hk fonts present;
the system was going off and selecting a random font instead.  Just a bug
cause by the optimizations for language set storage within the library, but
it may cause problems when testing this stuff.

> That's true.  Yes, for starters, I suppose zh-hk.orth only need to cover
> HKSCS-1999 (with 116 less characters).  Nevertheless, I reduced zh-hk.orth
> to only one single line (just the code "4E04") and fontconfig still wouldn't
> recognize any font as such, so I suspect the problem lies somewhere else.
> But yes, I shall do more experiment and let you know of the result.  :-)

I've found both Arial Unicode and Bitstream Cyberbit matched zh-hk, so at
least it's possible to match this orthography.  As I said before, if you
can send a problem font along, I'll see where it fails.

You might try

$ FC_DEBUG=384 fc-cache -f -v <directory containing problem fonts>

This will show how many glyphs are missing from each language in each
font, and even show the missing unicode values if there are fewer than 10
missing entries.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab