Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've gotten it to work for "MS UI Gothic" but I can't seem to make it match non-ascii font names. For example,
"MS Gothic" also has a japanese font name and that is what shows up in
the font dialog. When I run fc-list, it shows both "MS Gothic" and the Japanese version of the font name. I tried

<match target="font">
<test name="family" compare="contains">
<string>Gothic</string>
</test>
<edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
<bool>false</bool>
</edit>
</match>

to no avail.

I also tried

<match target="font">
<test name="family" compare="contains">
<string>ゴシック</string>
</test>
<edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
<bool>false</bool>
</edit>
</match>

where the "Goshikku" in japanese is in UTF-8, which failed too (though i'm running in a EUC-JP locale)

Am I not matching correctly? or is there some other way to match the font?

Thanks,
Ken

Keith Packard wrote:
Around 17 o'clock on Dec 5, "Ken Deeter (Kentarou Shinohara)" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how to disable anti-aliasing and use
embedded bitmaps for japanese fonts and for font sizes 8-14.

Once you disable anti-aliasing, you'll automatically get the embedded bitmaps.

I also find that mixing aa and non-aa glyphs from the same font at different sizes is somewhat distracting (but, ymmv).

Here's how I disable anti-aliasing on chinese fonts:

<match target="font">
<test name="lang" target="pattern" compare="contains">
<string>zh</string>
</test>
<test name="lang" target="font" compare="contains">
<string>zh</string>
</test>
<edit name="hinting" mode="assign">
<bool>false</bool>
</edit>
<edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
<bool>false</bool>
</edit>
</match>

This says that any font or pattern specified for chinese has hinting and antialiasing disabled.

To hit a specific family, you can use:

<!--
Disable anti-aliasing for simsun so that the embedded bitmaps
can be used
-->
<match target="font">
<test name="family" compare="eq">
<string>simsun</string>
</test>
<edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
<bool>false</bool>
</edit>
</match>

instead. You can add size tests inside the match element if you like to narrow the range to specific sizes.

Keith Packard XFree86 Core Team HP Cambridge Research Lab