I think that everything that has been said is correct. However, I think that
"banding" would only come into play for graphic elements. It has been a very
long time since I last coded for an old DeskJet (or any DeskJet for that
matter - the last ones being the original DeskJet and the DeskJet Plus).
IIRC since the DeskJets have a very small buffer, everything needs to be
sent to the printer in the order that it will be printed. On a Laser printer
generally the whole page is produced in printer memory and then printed. So
on a laser printer things can be sent for a page in any order. Perhaps the
newer DeskJets are endowed with bigger buffers - and enhanced PCL support.

How did the text print? I was concerned that even if the PCL could be made
to print properly. The printer would be unable to use the desired fonts.

It may be possible to modify the PCLRenderer to create a DeskJetRenderer by
using a buffer in the renderer to sort everything on the page into the
proper order. Graphic banding could also be done - but this is nontrivial.
You may want to take a peek at the TXTRenderer as this uses a buffer to
order the output (it also fills as necessary). If it is just an ordering
problem. Then perhaps an intermediate renderer could be added that would do
the sorting and then call the PCLRenderer (for non-graphic stuff anyway).

I do not know if this will be any help. My memory of DeskJet programming is
quite foggy. I hope that what I have said is mostly correct.

Art