Keiron,

Without having resoved the generation of books, I have converted my html
to xml, and run it against a cut-down fop.xml in one of the earlier
builds.  The results are at
<http://home.iprimus.com.au/pbwest/xml-fop/docs/html-docs/alt.properties.html>.
 The xml files are in the parallel xml-docs directory.

There's not much chance of my getting too attached to the current DTDs;
I found them very restrictive and found myself inserting nbsps all over
the place to work around minor formatting bugs.

Peter