This is how I do it Websphere 4.

Using Websphere Application developer I put the jar files
into the WEB-INF/lib directory in my war file. If using VAJ
just add some entries to the WS Testenvironment classpath to
where these are.

I then used the code examples in the docs.

here is a little code snippet
( it's contextual to my program and I use the oracle xml/xslt
  engines as well. )

import org.apache.fop.apps.Driver;
import org.apache.fop.apps.Version;
import org.apache.fop.apps.XSLTInputHandler;

import org.apache.log.*;

if ( sUseFOP.equals("Y") ) {
                        XMLDocumentFragment foDocFrag =
processor.processXSL(xsl, resultXML);
                        XMLDocument foDoc = new XMLDocument();
                        foDoc.appendChild( foDocFrag);
                        renderXML((Document) foDoc, response, outW);
                } else {
                        processor.processXSL(xsl, resultXML, outW);
                }

HTH, Jason