Arved,

Obviously, I share many of your attitudes to properties, but I differ in
one respect.  I think of properties not as rich, but as impoverished.
 To me, they are just associations of names with values.  The richness
lies in their treatment in the process of layout, where all of those
constraints and interactions will have to be accommodated and resolved
in the application of properties to FOs and areas.  Interactions, e.g.,
are inherently "outside" any individual property.  Constraints, I have
to admit, are generally property-centric, even where they involve
testing the value of other properties.  This view underlies my attempt
to reduce property handling to a set of arrays.  I still have an
individual (though nested) class for each property, from which
commonalities are extracted, while special cases are handled by methods
peculiar to the class.

Your concerns (and mine) about the association of build.xml release
number and the tag would be resolved by making them identical, or at
least deriving the first from the second.  If my understanding of the
relationship between RCS and CVS is correct, we can do this.

Peter