Comments inline.

one or more normal inline areas. These map to annotation rectangles in PDF.
When the inline areas in question are presented to the renderer they have
behaviour traits corresponding to the internal-destination or
external-destination.

> o Middle Easterner write left-to-right, top-to-bottom. Far
> Easterners write
> from top-to-bottom, right-to-left. They have their own font
> metrics. Is the
> FOP pagination able to handle this? How does it affect the area
> tree and the
> document presentation?

Can it handle this right now? No.

Apart from things like mixing text with different writing-modes, supporting
different writing-modes and reference-orientations is actually not much more
complicated than the specific Western case, at everything except the
immediate glyph-area level.

> o fo:external-graphic: can text be flowed around an image? That
> means, does
> it make sense for a user to mix text and images within the same block -
> unless a table is used, but this is a different setup.

Using a side-float is the best you can do with XSL 1.0. If you are looking
to do something like

TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT
TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT
TEXT TEXT -------------- TEXT TEXT
TEXT TEXT |            | TEXT TEXT
TEXT TEXT |   Image    | TEXT TEXT
TEXT TEXT |            | TEXT TEXT
TEXT TEXT |            | TEXT TEXT
TEXT TEXT -------------- TEXT TEXT
TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT
TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT

then, no, without tables and a fair bit of tweaking I don't think so. An
external-graphic intermingled with PCDATA is going to normally cause the
line it is in to expand to its own size (using line-height or max-height for
the line-stacking-strategy), so things will look like

TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT
TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT
          --------------
          |            |
          |   Image    |
TEXT TEXT |____________| TEXT TEXT
TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT
TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT

assuming that the baseline of the external-graphic is determined by an
"auto" value on "alignment-adjust".

Hope this helps.

Regards,
AHS