I will be converting a few paper forms into FOP for rendering into PDF.
I'm prioritizing reliability of rendering, with precise static layout,
and compatibility/printing accuracy for the current versions of Adobe
Acrobat on Windows. These documents won't need to flow or be
layout-influenced by their content.

I've worked with SVG, and would find it quite easy to draw the form
boxes, captions and lines in absolute coordinates in SVG. On the other
hand, there may be some merit to making traditional PDF text box
elements with borders, perhaps even tables, assuming row/column/cell
layout was practical.

Is there a prevailing wisdom in the FOP community that one way is better
than the other, or more predictably rendered, or more compatible with
the Acrobat reader?