Hi All,

What it boils down to seems to be if the inline fo returns the block
area or generates an inline area that contains the block area. If it
generates an inline area then it will set traits on that area (border,
background, link, padding etc.).

If that is the case why is a footnote inline not allowed to have a block
level child. Since this is effectively the same as using an
inline-container.

Here is another confusing statement, that makes sense for
inline-container.
4.6
"The dimensions of the content-rectangle for an inline-area without
children is computed as specified by the generating formatting object,
as are those of an inline-area with block-area children."

Does "computed as specified" mean specified on the fo or derived from
the context.

>From a practical viewpoint it makes sense to wrap the block in an inline
area with the traits and treat the block normally in layout terms but it
still feels uncomfortable. It also introduces a whole lot of other
questions about line height, padding etc.

Keiron.