Comments down under...

"font-height" has the same effect on other things also, though, where a
person may have some expectation that the element has a larger size. Like
external-graphic, for example. Which is why a note in Section 6.6.5 even
says that one normally uses "max-height" (the default) or "line-height" for
this FO.

I think this is a situation that would be cause for a runtime warning, using
some kind of heuristics - the user has imposed conditions on the FO that
really don't go well together. Something that big they should maybe think of
doing a float. But the spec itself is reasonably clear on what we can expect
from "font-height", I think.

Arved