Joerg, Keiron, et al,

This is why I have harped on the theme of lookahead.  The layout design
simply must accommodate it, and must be able to preserve as much
information as possible from the initial layout attempts to minimise the
work of subsequent attempts.  I have, as I have said before, made some
initial notes on aspects of this.  It is why I believe that a something
like a layout tree is needed as the bridge between FO and area trees.

I don't pretend to have any actual design worked out, but the broad
outlines of a solution to this have to be worked out first.

Peter

J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Keiron Liddle wrote:
>
>> As far as I know there is never a case where a finished page should be
>> redone. Once a page is complete that is it.
>> Those problems should be solved during the layout of a page only and not
>> considering furture pages.
>

> Well, if widows="2" and you've laid out a block
> and discover there is only one line on the new page,
> what do you do? The easiest way seems to be to steal
> a line from the previous page.

Peter B. West  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"