On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 22:24, Henrik Olsson wrote:
> >On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 20:22, Laszlo Hornyak wrote:
> >> ok, sorry for the disturbance.
> >>
> >> Laszlo Hornyak
> >>
> >> ps:
> >> StringBuffering code:
> >> time for test: 45479
> >>
> >> String += code:
> >> time for test: 52011
> >
> >+= is slow
> >
> >+ is faster.
> >
> The important thing here are not realy the time it takes to do += or + to
> strings, the biggest cost in handling strings is the creation and gc
>
> Creation and destruction of string objects costs alot in the FOP since
> there are huge misuse of them.
>
> se patch 14013 that runs 20-30% faster and the biggest things are
> optimization of string handling.
>
> So I think StringBuffers shall be used instead of adding strings together.

The add and store operation is slow.

eg

String a = "foo";
a += "bar";

String a = "foo" + "bar";

compiles to approximatly

StringBuffer xxx.append("foo").append("bar");

Which is faster than

StringBuffer xxx.append("foo");
xxx.append("bar");

It's even slightly faster than

StringBuffer xxx.append("foo").append("bar");

understanding what the compiler does is the secret to optimizing
Strings.

For details of why see my earlier post.

> /Henrik

-k.

--
If you don't test then your code is only a collection of bugs which
apparently behave like a working program.

Website: http://www.rocketred.com.au/blogs/kevin/